Monday, December 12, 2011

Wheat Belly?... and I thought it was all my fault!

 Yesterday I was a mad woman! I ran for 1.5miles and did two yoga sessions that were 30minutes each. I am so sore today but I slept so well and that was with having to wake up and nurse a baby twice. I can really tell my body is starting to reset itself in so many ways. Yeah! It feels so good to be moving toward health and a fit body. I have struggled with my weight since I was a little girl and there is so much emotional baggage tucked in between those rolls. I think it has even become my identity in a way to be the "big" one. So many people are checking in with me regularly about their journey and reporting their meals, exercise routine or  goals with me and it is really very exciting. Having support like this and being other peoples support really is motivating and rewarding!
My Aunts sent me a book called Wheat Belly that I am reading. It is all about how wheat was modified to increase yield which unfortunately has produced a grain lacking in nutrients and appears to even be contributing to the obesity epidemic in America. He attacks the low-fat, no-fat movement that gained popularity in the 70's and is still going strong. Dr. Davis a preventative cardiologist explains that Americans have only gotten fatter with these guidelines and not leaner...he cites wheat but primarily gluten as the major obstacle. He even uses his experience with triathletes and their inability to lose their spare tire. These are not people for whom diet and exercise are usually a problem they are finely tuned athletes. So his basic hypothesis is eliminate wheat gluten from your diet and you will lose weight. I am trying to gear myself up to do his diet by February. And we shall see. My Aunts have collectively lost over 10lbs just from eliminating wheat and gluten. It is very exciting to see an MD tackle the gluten problem. Naturopaths have seen the gluten intolerance and food sensitivites relating to wheat and gluten for years now. The MD's usually argue that we are overstating the number of people with gluten sensitivities and/or celiac disease but, perhaps it is not just our  patient population perhaps it is truly a more universal reaction to this high-yield hybridized wheat. Can't wait to read all about it.
BTW  for all of you skeptics out there he has pages and pages of references in the back of the book citing research studies that back up his claims and theories, so please let us know what you think. Have you read the book? Have you tried the diet? Please let us know about it!

3 comments:

  1. I have done it twice before - given up wheat and similar grains, sugar, and also dairy. I felt great each time. But then somehow found myself off the wagon again, like an alcoholic. Today is my first day trying again. I'm already starving and wondering what's for lunch (and dinner). It's also hard when others in the household are not on the same diet, and you have to cook two meals. It's worth it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered the book from Amazon. I know about the evils of wheat, but I need to be reminded. I went 6 months without wheat or dairy back before I had my second daughter. She was conceived in a wheat and dairy free womb. Four months after I was pregnant though, I started eating wheat and cheese again. The battle never ends... For sure removing wheat will make you lose weight, but you will also sleep better and not be a craving lunatic for other carbs. My reasons for removing wheat were purely about health, but I was a twig when I did get rid of it, and the thinnest I have ever been.

    ReplyDelete